Finally ! My first homemade Kaya ...taste...hmmmm....like the real thing. No need to buy off the shelf from now on. Recipe from a local magazine :
1 and a quarter cups of sugar
4 pandan leaves
1 whole coconut,grated
a pinch of salt
- Squeeze grated coconut without adding water to get the thick 'santan' - should get around 1 cup
- Next, beat eggs and sugar together till sugar dissolved.
- Add in the 'santan' and mix till well combined.
- Pour mixture to a double boiler and cook over medium heat, partially covered and stirring constantly. Add in the salt. According to the book, this should take about an hour but it took me less than that to get the mixture thickened. Anyway, I suspect the heat was on the high side. (will remember next time)
- Add in the pandan leaves( washed and tied to a knot). Continue stirring uncovered.
- By now, the mixture should have thickened considerably. Let it cook without stirring for about 15mins.
- Stir to smoothen the custard and let it cool completely. Discard the pandan leaves.
- Store in your favourite container and keep it in the fridge.