Sunday, June 14, 2009

Marbled Light Cheesecake

Cheesecake is something that I do not bake often. This is because everyone in the family is not much of a fan. I actually bought the cream cheese last weekend wanting to try out a 'roll cake' recipe which calls for it as the filling. Well, the cake was not a success. I ended up with quite a fair bit of unused cream cheese. So, I decided to use it for a cheesecake. This is the perfect choice because it's a light version and it has a bit of chocolate taste. The recipe is from Alex Goh's 'Fantastic Cheesecake' which I have bought for a while but have not tried any of the recipe.










The recipe :
A)
250ml milk
20g butter
B)
125g cream cheese
50g flour
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
C)
3 egg whites
80g sugar
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
a pinch of salt
D)
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
  • Preheat oven to 160 degree celcius. Prepare hot water to 'steam bake' cake.
  • Cook (A) till it boils.Remove from heat.
  • Beat the cream cheese till smooth and add in milk mixture.Whisk to combine.Add in flour and continue whisking the mixture over a pot of simmering water. The mixture will start to thicken.Remove from heat.
  • The next step is to add in the egg yolks and vanilla. I was having a bit of problem here because I was afraid the egg might get cooked if I add it in immediately. I hesitated for a while. In fact, I waited a while to let the mixture cool down a bit before adding. Keeping my fingers crossed, down went the yolks. Well, it was okay. Continue whisking till everything gets incorporated.Set aside.
  • Whisk egg whites till foamy, add in the rest of (C) ingredients and beat till soft peak.
  • Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture. When combined, reserve about 100g of the plain batter.Pour the rest of the batter to a prepared 20cm square pan(lined and greased).
  • Mix the reserved batter with cocoa powder. Drop chocolate batter over the plain batter randomly and swirl to create the marble pattern.
  • Prepare a bigger roasting pan with hot water.Place the cake pan in the roasting pan and steam bake in the preheated oven for about an hour.
  • Once cake is ready(the centre is set and top turned golden brown), unmould from cake pan immediately and leave to cool.
-

7 comments:

petitechef said...

W-O-W My mouth is watering! Sounds and looks delicous! Thanks for the recipe! Great site!

STARLIT said...

Hi Petitechef,

Thanks for dropping by.

Jean said...

Hi! I tried this recipe but the bottom didn't set (turned out like a pudding). Can I know how you steam-bake the cake? (:

STARLIT said...

Hi Jean,

For steam-baking, you just need to fill a bigger roasting pan with hot boiling water till it reaches 3/4 of the height of your cake pan.Place the whole thing into the oven and let it bake till golden brown.As to why yours have turned out to be pudding-like texture..I am puzzled too.But don't give up, keep trying.

Mary, CookEatShare Author Support said...

I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

Please contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile. Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information.

SIG said...

This looks really good!

christine said...

This looks yummy! Awesome Marbled Light Cheesecake. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin