The recipe :
125g cream cheese
3 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
a pinch of salt
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 160 degree celcius. Prepare hot water to 'steam bake' cake.
- Cook (A) till it boils.Remove from heat.
- Beat the cream cheese till smooth and add in milk mixture.Whisk to combine.Add in flour and continue whisking the mixture over a pot of simmering water. The mixture will start to thicken.Remove from heat.
- The next step is to add in the egg yolks and vanilla. I was having a bit of problem here because I was afraid the egg might get cooked if I add it in immediately. I hesitated for a while. In fact, I waited a while to let the mixture cool down a bit before adding. Keeping my fingers crossed, down went the yolks. Well, it was okay. Continue whisking till everything gets incorporated.Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites till foamy, add in the rest of (C) ingredients and beat till soft peak.
- Fold the egg whites into the cheese mixture. When combined, reserve about 100g of the plain batter.Pour the rest of the batter to a prepared 20cm square pan(lined and greased).
- Mix the reserved batter with cocoa powder. Drop chocolate batter over the plain batter randomly and swirl to create the marble pattern.
- Prepare a bigger roasting pan with hot water.Place the cake pan in the roasting pan and steam bake in the preheated oven for about an hour.
- Once cake is ready(the centre is set and top turned golden brown), unmould from cake pan immediately and leave to cool.