When these came out from the oven, I thought they looked like 'huat koh' because of the way the top 'blossomed'..ha!ha! I think it's because I used a bigger 'cup' instead of the usual small cup cases that fit into a cupcake tray and filled the cup with too much batter.
Cupcakes are really a no fuss kind of bake that anyone can whip up in no time. If you have kids, it's even better to bake your own because at least you know what goes into the cupcakes (if you know what I mean).
For today's bake, here is the recipe :
125g cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
About 2.5 tbsp cocoa powder(or more if you want a more chocolate-y taste)
125g castor sugar
125g butter, room temperature
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp milk
- Prepare a cupcake tray with paper cases.
- Sift the flour ingredients and set aside.
- Cream butter + sugar till combined. Add in eggs and continue to beat till well incorporated followed by vanilla essence. It might look lumpy but it's okay because when you fold in the flour, it will come together.
- Add in flour in 2 batches and mix till combined. Then, add in the milk.
- Once all mixed in, scoop batter to fill the cupcake cases, about 3/4 full.
- Bake in preheated oven of 180 degree celcius for 20-25 minutes. Use a cake tester to check doneness.
- Cool on wire rack and frost with your favourite frosting.