Thursday, October 18, 2012

Buns and more buns

 
These buns are nothing new if you are from Malaysia or Singapore. You can find this versions at local bakery shops and most of us will just grab one to have them for breakfast, snacks or when hunger pangs strikes. The only frustration with store bought ones are, you get very little kaya and almost feather like dough which probably won't fill your stomach. So, it was natural for me to want to bake some with the new interest in bread making now. This time, I opted for the scalded flour version adapted from Alex Goh's cookbook, Magic Bread. Not my first time trying. I have used this recipe for Golden Pillow and my Cinnamon Rolls. Very nice and fluffy texture. The taste of the bread is in my opinion better. Maybe it's due to lesser ratio of milk in the recipe. It is very suitable to use this dough recipe for any fillings. The tangzhong recipe has a high milk content so the taste of the bread is also very different. I guess you need to try both and decide which taste better for you. To each its own.
 




Recipe :

The night before, scald 100g of bread flour with 70g of boiling water. Mix till a rough dough is formed. Leave aside to cool. Place overnight in the fridge, at least 12 hours.

On actual day of baking :

A) 300g bread flour
     100g plain flour
     80g sugar
     1 tsp salt
     20g milk powder (I omitted as I do not have any)
     1 tbsp instant yeast

B) 150g cold water
      25g fresh milk (original recipe calls for 175g cold water without fresh milk)
      1 egg ( recipe calls for 60g cold eggs but I did not bother to weigh, turned out fine as the egg I used was a small one -  50g with shell)

C) 60g butter

- Mix (A) till blended, add in (C) in a stand mixer with dough hook.Add in (B) and knead till well blended and slapping the mixer bowl.
- Add in (C) and continue to knead till elastic ( pinch a small amount of dough to test elasticity, should be able to stretch thinly without breaking easily and dough look smooth and glossy).
- Transfer dough to a clean bowl and let proof for 40 mins.
- When dough is ready, punch out air and knead a few times to release the air.
- Divide dough into desired amount and let it rest for 10 mins.
- For kaya buns, I divided the first portion of dough to a fairly small amount of 9 pieces but I did not weigh the dough.  The remaining ones were portioned into bigger amount and I used them for luncheon meat buns.
- So, kaya buns first - flatten the divided doughs with your palm, roll out slightly, place a tbsp of kaya in the middle. Fold it up and lift up to seal the edge and shape it to a round shape. Place in onto a baking tray. Repeat with the rest.
- Cover with cloth and leave to proof for another 40 mins or doubled in size like the pic below.


 -Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 175 degrees celcius for about 15-20mins.
- Remove from oven. Unmould after 5 minutes to cool on rack.

As for the rest of the dough, this is what I have done :



I used canned luncheon meat. Slice into rectangular sizes. Roll out the dough, place a piece of the meat in the centre. Make equal slits on both sides.Then, criss cross to create a braid pattern. I had mine in odd sizes as I did not divide the dough equally. Well. who cares since it's for personal consumption.
Leave to proof for about 40 minutes, brush with egg wash and bake at 160 degrees celcius for about 20-25mins.


The buns were still soft and nice the next day. Weekend is approaching. I can't wait for my next batch of bread.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin