Sunday, October 7, 2012

Spiral Sardine Puffs




These spiral puffs are local favourites and honestly, mine too. They are usually sold as curry puffs with a spicy filling but I am using sardine instead to suit the tastebuds of the young at home.

The recipe calls for a water dough and an oil dough. Then, you wrap one with the other and roll it out a few times to achieve those spiral thingy on the dough. Interesting! Such an ingenious idea. Whoever invented these, I truly appreciate and admire.

So, before I started with this spiral adventure, I did some browsing on the internet. I want a recipe that is simple and yet can still achieve the end result and I do not want to end up with 30 pieces of puffs. So, I sort of stumble upon one of the blogs out there and scaled down the recipe which got me 9 puffs - some small and some bigger. Well, for a first timer, I think I am alright.

Recipe :

Water Dough

150g plain flour ( I used top flour coz that's all I have), sieved
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1/2 egg ( the original recipe calls for an egg so I lightly beat the egg and use half the amount)
1/2bsp vegetable oil

Oil Dough

45g cold butter, cut into small pieces
75g plain flour
1/2 tbsp oil or more

Filling

A small can of sardine in tomato sauce, drained
Onions
Salt to taste
(mashed up the sardine with a fork, mix in onions and salt. You can add in chilli or prepare a potato curry filling but I am making these for my kids and they can't take the spicy taste)

Method :
Start with the water dough. Mix flour and salt together. Make a well in the centre and add in the egg,oil and water. My advice is not to pour in all the water at one go because different brand of flour behaves different. Just mix and add more water until it forms a rough dough. It will be sticky but keep kneading and you will get a smooth and non sticky dough. Shape the dough into a round ball.Ser aside.
Next, prepare the oil dough. Use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour. You want to achieve a breadcrumb like texture. When that is reached, add in the oil and form the crumbs into a dough. For this, I need to add in more oil to get the dough into a dough like stage. Shape the dough into a round ball. Set aside.






The bigger one in the photo is the water dough and the smaller one is the oil dough. Roll the water dough into a flat round shape. Then, place the oil dough in the middle and wrap it up.



 
 

Seal it up. With the seal side facing down. Roll the dough into a long rectangular shape. Roll the dough from top to bottom like a swiss roll making sure it's tightly tucked. Then, turn the roll 90 degrees. Roll it out again to flatten it into a rectangular shape. Repeat the rolling from top to bottom. Use your fingers to dap a little water on the dough each time you roll down to ensure it stick together.
Once it's rolled up, give it a quick roll to smooth out. Trim the side.
Now, you can cut the roll in equal portion like how you would with the cinnamon roll dough.



 
 

Take a portion, flatten with palm and roll into a round disc. Place a small amount of sardine filling in the middle. Close both ends together and use hand to press and seal it up by pleating the ends.






When all is done, heat up enough oil to deep fry till golden brown. Enjoy with a cup of coffee.




 
 

Simply delightful!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin