Sunday, January 20, 2013

Lapis




The layering is what makes this cake interesting. Some like to eat it in small bites, some big bites and there are those who love to peel it off layer by layer. Well, in whatever way you choose to eat it, lapis never fails to bring the hmmm...and the waahhss.....at first bite. I caught a glimpse of the price tag at Bengawan Solo and a whole lapis cake is charged at S$56. I can really understand why the high price. Standing in the kitchen patiently baking every layer till the batter is used up is indeed a laborious affair. I guess since I am baking it for my family, it is definitely worth the time and effort.
The recipe I used is the same one which I have used before. It is adapted from Do What I Like blog.  Here's the recipe :

250 g butter
60 g sugar

10 egg yolks
60g sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp condensed milk

66g self raising flour
1 tsp rempah kuih spices
a pinch of cinnamon powder

4 egg whites
30g sugar
1/2 tsp lemon juice

- Line and grease a square pan.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius ( I find that my oven needed a higher temp so, adjust accordingly)
- Start by beating the egg yolks with sugar till thick, add in essence and condensed milk. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, then slowly mix in the egg mixture till well incorporated.
- Sieve the flour mixture into the batter and fold to combine.
- Next, whip egg white till stiff, fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Switch oven to top grill funtion only, place pan into the oven and grill for one minute.
- Remove pan, scoop about 2 tbsp of batter to the pan and use a spoon to level the batter. Bake for about 5 minutes or till brown. Use a toothpick to poke holes on the surface of the cake. I also used a measuring cup with a flat base to gently press on top of the layer to even out. Repeat the steps till all batter is used up, layer by layer.
- Unmould immediately and let it cool on a wire rack.
- Cut the sides which are drier and the layers will be revealed.

 Keep in airtight container and store in fridge but it should be gone faster than you think and there is no need to store them really.I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #27 : Through Thick and Thin - Kue Lapis Classics hosted by Sam of Sweet Sensation.


2 comments:

Sammie said...

What a great looking lapis! I gotta agree, making this is indeed a labour of love! :) and yeah! The lapis in Singapore can be really expensive! Glad your family got to enjoy some delicious home made one!

Smiley Baker said...

Thanks Sammie.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin