When it comes to Chiffon, no other flavours come close to Pandan in my opinion. The fragrant of the pandan just works well with the coconut milk. The aroma that fills the kitchen while the cake is baking makes everyone in the house happy! It has really been a while since I last made this. This time, I used the recipe from Christine's blog and I like the texture of the cake, very much. Although I tweaked it a little here and there, it still turned out fine, standing tall. This cake will get snapped up really fast so I don't think there is a need to store them in the fridge. Goes well with a cup of hot coffee.
Here's the recipe :
For the egg yolk batter
5 egg yolks
20g castor sugar
100g top flour
100ml thick coconut milk
3 tbsp of pandan juice ( blend 10 pieces of pandan leaves with a little waier, drain)
a few drops of pandan paste ( just to achieve the light hue green)
3 tbsp vegetable oil
For egg white mixture
5 egg whites
60g castor sugar
a pinch of corn flour
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Prepare the pandan juice. Mix about 3 tbsp of pandan juice to the thick cocomut milk and mix in the pandan paste. Don't get carried away with the pandan paste. A little goes a long way. You don't want to end up with a loud green colour that looks artificial.
- Separate the 5 eggs into respective bowls.
- To the egg yolks bowl, add the sugar and whisk till sugar is blended in. Mix in the oil and whisk further till incorporated.
- Add in the cocomut milk mixture and mix well.
- Sift in the flour and whisk to blend well till batter is smooth.
- Next, prepare your meringue. Start with low speed till egg white is foamy. Add in a pinch of corn flour. Continue beating for another min.
- Add in sugar in 3 batches and beat till stiff peaks formed. Do not overbeat till dry.Egg white should still look glossy and creamy but with stiff peaks.
- Add 1/3 of the white to the yolk batter and blend well. Fold in another 1/3 of the white with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the remaining yolk batter to the remaining meringue and fold in gently till all blended.
- Pour batter to a chiffon cake mould and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Once done, remove from oven and invert the pan to cool completely.
- Unmould gently and enjoy!