Sunday, July 28, 2013

Rainbow Cake


Had a great time putting this together. The only daunting part is writing the message on top of the cake. I need to practise, practise and yes! more practise.
I have never thought of baking and assembling a rainbow cake because the thought of baking the layers in different colours is already a put off. But when I received the order for this cake and it is meant for 2 young boys' birthday, I was happy to take up the challenge. I wanted to see if I can create some magic for them. So, for the whole week, I have been thinking rainbow, talking rainbow and breathing rainbow. So many ideas came to my mind in terms of how I would want the finished cake to look like. I was also toying with decorating it with marshmallows fondant but alas, I was not feeling well in the middle of the week and did not have enough time to pre-prepare the fondant.
Then, the next question is which recipe should I use? I thought of making the layers with the simple sponge cake recipe but that recipe requires egg separation and wouldn't the batter deflate if not sent in to the oven immediately? I have 6 layers to bake in total. So, I moved on to other recipes. When you search for rainbow cakes recipes online, you probably will first come across Whisk Kid's white cake recipe which only uses egg whites. A lot of good reviews but I was hesitating because I do not have any plans of making stuff with the remaining egg yolks. So, I googled and googled and sort of come to the conclusion that you can almost use any favourite cake recipes of yours to make this cake. You just need to divide the batter into 6 portions and colour them.


So, I settled for this recipe from I Love Cake :

For the cake batter ( I doubled the recipe for a 7" square cake pan)
250g butter, room temperature
220g self raising flour ( original recipe uses cake flour + 1tsp baking powder)
200g castor sugar
4 large eggs
5 tbsp fresh milk
1 tsp vanilla essence

For frosting and filling ( which is not limited to this):
Non dairy whipping cream ( I did not weigh as I just pour and gauge how much I would need)
1 tbsp cocoa powder or more depending how dark you want the frosting (I am keeping it light)
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method :
  1. Line the pan and preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
  2. Sieve the flour and set aside.
  3. Beat butter till soft, add sugar and continue beating till pale and fluffy.
  4. Add in eggs, one at a time making sure it is incorporated before the next addition.
  5. Add in flour by small batches, followed by milk and the vanilla essence.
  6. Mix till combined.
  7. Divide batter into 6 portions ( you can either weigh it or by eye balling).
  8. Colour each portion accordingly : red,orange, yellow,green, blue and purple.
  9. Bake about 15 mins per layer depending on your oven. Do a doneness test to make sure cake is cooked before removing from oven. Let cool and continue with the rest of the batter.
Tips : It helps if you have 2 cake pans of the similar size and if your oven can bake two at the same time. I have to repeat the bakes 6 times.

For the frosting :
1) Beat the cream at medium speed. Add in vanilla and beat till stiff peaks.
2) Remove sufficient portions for the clouds and rainbow icings on the cake. Maintain a small amount for the clouds decorations in white. The rest needs to be divided into portions and colour accordingly for the rainbow decorations around the cake.
3) Beat in cocoa powder to remaining portion which will be used for the filling and frosting for the entire cake.



My Rainbow Connection : The lovers, the dreamers and me.....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin