I was quite tempted to go for a all natural recipe instead of using colourings if I had the time but these cuppies were a last minute thingy and so I went for a recipe which I took from blogger Brown Eyed Baker. You can refer to her original recipe here which is in cups measurements.
Look at the red batter all ready in the cupcake liners. The recipe makes about 12 mini cuppies. So, if you intend to bake them in larger cupcake liners, you will need to double the recipe.
60g unsalted butter
150g castor sugar
1 large egg (60g with shell)
2 and 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
3 Tbsp red food colouring ( I used the cherry red liquid colouring from NTUC)
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
120ml buttermilk ( I added vinegar to regular milk to substitute. Method : click here)
150g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 and 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Beat butter + sugar till light and fluffy.
- Add egg slowly.
- In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder, red colouring and vanilla extract together. It will form a thick paste.
- Add the paste to the butter mixture & mix till combined.
- Pour in half the buttermilk.
- Beat till incorporated and add 1/2 of the plain flour. Alternate buttermilk and flour addition till all is used up.
- Add baking soda and vinegar, mix well with mixer at low speed.
- Increase speed of mixer and beat for a couple of minutes more.
- Spoon batter to cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 minutes, cake should bounce back when touched.
Mix 150g cream cheese with 40g of butter. Add in 70g of icing sugar, beat till combined. Add in 1 tbsp of lemon juice and some lemon zest if desired. Do not overbeat or the frosting will be runny.
Frost the cupcakes with cream cheese frosting when cooled completely.
The feedbacks I got for these cuppies were good. Will definitely make these again!